Sunday, September 16, 2012

Fury of Fire - Coreene Callahan


Review: Fury of Fire by Coreene Callahan


A clandestine race of half-dragon, half-humans known as dragon-shifters lives among us. Bastian, leader of the Nightfury dragon clan, is sworn to protect humankind at all costs. For him, honor and duty always come first. When the clan dictates he take a human mate to sire a son, he falters, aware that for a human to birth a dragon-shifter she must die. Myst, the woman given into his care, is the most extraordinary he's ever met, and though he can't bear the thought of harming her, he is bound by duty. Myst loves her life in the human world, but Bastian has captured her heart in an instant of electric connection. But Bastian and his warriors are in the middle of a deadly battle with the Razorback dragon-shifters, intent on killing every Nightfury clan member ? and the humans they protect ? the fate of their world and ours hangs in the balance.
Series: Dragonfury Book 1

I have read a great number of PNR books, but this was my first book with dragons! Yep, you heard me dragons! But not some ugly monsters, with large teeth and red eyes that breathe fire, Fury of Fire had some very beautiful dragons, the kind you would want to be rescued by, if you were locked in some filthy tower! In other words they were hot and definitely worth the read. Fury of Fire was a non-stop roller coaster ride of action, suspense, mystery, humor and sizzling romance! It was different and fun and I found myself hooked to its every word! An overall enjoyable read. 

I adored the characters in this book! They were so funny that I found myself laughing at every little joke they said! Humor is always a plus in a PNR book, especially with all the action-y stuff going on. The heroine, Myst, is one tough chick! She looses a patient, saves an unborn baby, gets taken by a dragon, has a bullseye on her back - but despite all that she still has enough energy left to spout off witty remarks. I loved her sense of humor! And I was very happy when she finally took that leap of faith with Bastian - I maybe be biased here, cause I really wanted that HEA - but  it took courage nonetheless and I admired Myst for that. As for Bastian, he was just pure sexy alpha male! I loved his protective instincts when it came to Myst and his sweet side was an added bonus. But when he gets jealous, Oh boy, *fans self* you will get weak in the knees! That's not to say, he didn't have flaws. He did, but that's what made him an enjoyable and real character. 

The romance in the book, is a puzzle to me. I was a little confused by the end of the book, as to how Bastian and Myst "truly" love each other. With the way the story progressed, the "I love you." at the end seemed rushed. So, I didn't really get that special feeling between the two characters. But other than that, Bastian and Myst's relationship was sweet and very hot.

The one major thing I had an issue with was Myst and her freak out session over being pregnant with Bastian’s child. I just thought it was odd and childish, especially considering she’s been having sex with the man for how long?? - you'd think it was at the very least a possibility. I got she was upset but crying, telling Bastian to stay away and then fleeing as if your life is in danger, was a little too much. And the worst thing, after she drives off, she realizes that Bastian was being "reasonable" and had good reason not to tell her about how she got pregnant!?? For a character that has a strong, humorous personality, this did not fit her. Ms. Callahan could have handled that situation a bit better.

There were also the other Nightfury clan members. Rikar, Wick, Venom and Sloan. Without a doubt, I gave my heart away to Wick. He was the silent bad boy, that every girl falls for and my favourite. I can’t wait for his story! I also liked Forge, an ex-bad guy and am looking forward to his story too! All the secondary characters were very enjoyable and they were a nice aspect to the story, overall. 

Thanks to Literary Love Affair
http://loveaffairwithabookreviews.blogspot.jp/2012/09/review-fury-of-fire-by-coreene-callahan.html

No comments:

Post a Comment